Editors Note: This post was originally published on 3, January 2017, and has been updated (1 December 2017) to included new recipes.
Cool and crisp. Refreshing and light. Iced herbal teas make the perfect companion to beat the heat in the summertime. Iced teas are simple to make at home and a much healthier alternative to iced teas you’ll commonly find at supermarket or the convenience shop around the corner.
Homemade vs. Store-bought Iced tea
It’s an easy mistake we all make. We think that by choosing iced tea we are making the healthy choice but often grab-and-go bottles of iced tea can contain more sugar than a can of soda.
Adding sugar to your iced tea or when it has been added for you, actually undoes the potential health benefits of drinking tea. When you make iced tea yourself, you know exactly what’s in it. It’s a win-win for your health and wellbeing.
Tulsi Tea Recipes
We’re half-way through summer. It’s hot and that’s an understatement. We don’t feel like drinking hot tea. But we’re diehard Tulsi-lovers committed to being well so we thought we’d share our summer secret – Iced Tulsi – to keep you cool during the warm months ahead.
Tulsi–Holy Basil, known as the “Queen of Herbs” in Ayurveda, has been used for thousands of years to promote health throughout the entire body. From supporting a healthy response to stress and boosting immunity to promoting natural detoxification, increasing energy and restoring balance & harmony in the body – the endless list of health benefits for Tulsi just goes on and on and on! To learn more about Tulsi and why we use it in ALL of our teas, download our e-guide, Tulsi-Holy Basil: The Herbal Guide.
No longer do you have to miss out on all these benefits during the hot summer months with these Tulsi tea recipes.
Here are our favourite fresh recipes for Tulsi tea with ice:
Iced Tulsi Tea: The Basics
First the basics: iced Tulsi tea. Have you ever made a herbal iced tea that just tasted weak? Follow these recommendations for full flavoured iced tea and maximum enjoyment:
- Place 2 Tulsi tea bags or 2 heaped teaspoons of Tulsi Loose Leaf in your teapot or cup.
- Steep for 5-10 minutes or longer for flavour and Tulsi benefits (cover if possible).
- Set tea aside to cool (refrigerate if you like).
- You can try any flavoured Tulsi tea over ice, although we recommend: Sweet Rose, Peppermint, Raspberry Peach, Pomegranate Green and Green tea.
- You might like to garnish with fruit or fresh herbs – sliced citrus and mint leaves make it extra special.
1. Tulsi Sweet Rose Coconut Refresher
We’re big fans of coconuts – they’re delicious and they’re good for you. This is a tea recipe you’ll be enjoying all summer and beyond.
- Pour 1 cup of freshly boiled water over 2 bags Tulsi Sweet Rose.
- Steep for 5-10 minutes then refrigerate to cool.
- Mix with the water of one tender green drinking coconut.
- Serve chilled over ice and enjoy.
2. Pomegranate Pear Green Smooth-Tea
If smoothies are your drink of choice during the summer, you will definitely need to give this one a go. It’s even got our Whole Husk Psyllium which helps keep your digestive system happy and supports that big ol’ heart you’ve got!
- 1½ cups ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Pomegranate Green Tea at room temperature
- 1 pear
- 4 or 5 strawberries
- 1 banana
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 Tbsp ORGANIC INDIA Whole Husk Psyllium
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
Add all ingredients to your blender. Process until smooth. Pour into a large glass and enjoy!
3. Tulsi Peppermint Ice Cubes
These little guys are the ultimate cooling refreshment! Brew your ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Peppermint tea to your desired strength. Let the tea cool to room temperature and pour into the ice cube trays. Add a leaf or two of fresh mint to each ice cube. Put the trays in your freezer until the tea has hardened. Add the ice cubes to your favourite iced tea recipe, juice, or smoothie.
- Approximately 2 cups of ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Peppermint Tea
- 3 or 4 springs of organic fresh mint
- 1 or 2 ice cube trays
4. Berry Sweet Rose Smooth-Tea
Berry Smoothies are very popular so we thought there had to be a way to add our beloved Tulsi. We give you the Berry Sweet Rose Smooth-Tea with our Organic Moringa Leaf Powder; a naturally complex superfood that is derived from one of the most complete and nutrient-dense plants on earth.
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk
- 1/2 cup ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Sweet Rose tea
- 1 tsp ORGANIC INDIA Moringa Leaf Powder
- 1/2 cup organic strawberries
- 1/2 cup organic raspberries
- 1/2 cup organic cherries (pitted)
Brew the Tulsi Sweet Rose tea and allow it to cool (refrigerate if you want to speed up the process). Add all the ingredients to your blender. Process until smooth. Pour into glass and enjoy!
5. Cherry Lemon Turmeric Zinger
- 2 ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Turmeric Ginger Tea bags
- 3 – 4 cups water
- 1 cup pitted cherries
- 2.5 cm piece of fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Brew the ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Turmeric Ginger Tea based on the instructions on the box, but with double tea bags for that extra dash of flavour.
- Pour the brewed tea into a bowl.
- Add the cherries and ginger.
- Feel free to “squish” the cherries to release their delicious juices.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add the lemon juice and transfer the liquid to a pitcher.
- Allow to sit in the refrigerator overnight or for a few hours until all of the flavours have infused.
- Kick back, relax and enjoy!
You'll Also LOVE...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter for up-to-date news, new products, special offers and be apart of our beautiful community inspiring True Wellness for all.