Ashwagandha is on the up trend in the West, with supplements and teas becoming an irreplaceable part of many health-conscious consumers’ daily routine. Ayurveda classifies Ashwagandha as a “rasayana,” or rejuvenator; and it has been used as such in the Indian traditional system of medicine for nearly 6,000 years. Rasayana literally translates to “path of essence” and refers to herbs that can help bring health, longevity, cognitive support and virility.
Researchers have been taking a closer look at Ashwagandha in the past decade and have found these ancient uses to have significant modern-day applications. For one, Ashwagandha has been classified as an adaptogen, which are substances that support the body’s ability to respond and adapt to physical, emotional and environmental stress.
What sets ORGANIC INDIA Ashwagandha apart?
ORGANIC INDIA takes every avenue to operate in a way that is Beyond Sustainable, for both the planet and the amazing partners we work with. Our Ashwagandha is grown, harvested and prepared in adherence to the following principles and practices:
- Highest Quality Ashwagandha. ORGANIC INDIA’s Ashwagandha is cultivated in Bundelkhand, India, an area known for producing the highest quality available. We also harvest only the most mature, thickest roots for greatest benefit and potency.
- Small Family Farmers. Ethical partnerships are the heart and soul of our company. We contract with small, family-owned farms across India and purchase crops at premium market price. Most of our partners have been with us for more than ten years, and each is an integral part of our herbal family. As indispensable members of our team, we provide all of our farmers health insurance and ongoing training by agricultural experts who are at the cutting edge of organic and regenerative farming—a no-brainer for us, but an unfortunately unheard of practice in the industry.
- Regenerative Agriculture. We are deeply rooted in agriculture that is beyond sustainable—it’s regenerative. What this means is our farming practices not only preserve the land, they make it better. Regenerative means replenished soil, improved biodiversity, enhanced water conservation, and increased carbon sequestration. We look beyond our crop to the whole earth and our responsibility to it as a healthy conscious living company.
Ashwagandha Benefits for Body and Mind
Modern research may confirm the Ayurvedic belief that Ashwagandha is an excellent herb for the body and mind. Here are some of the many benefits of Ashwagandha:
- Balances stress response. As an adaptogen, Ashwagandha supports the body and mind’s healthy response to physical, mental and environmental stress.
- Supports endurance. Studies have found that Ashwagandha can increase stamina and endurance; thereby helping to improve physical performance.
- Cognitive support. Ashwagandha is a rasayana herb, specifically in the medyha subgroup (medhyarasayanas), which refers to mind, mental capacity, intellect and memory.
- Tonic effects. Ashwagandha has been used classically and today as a tonic, which brings a sense of vigor and wellbeing.
- Calming. Ashwagandha can help you feel calmer and more at ease, even in challenging or unfamiliar situations — supporting a healthy mood and positive mindset.
Traditional Significance of Ashwagandha
In Sanskrit, “Ashwagandha” translates to “the smell of a horse,” which refers not only to its unique aroma, but to its ability to help provide strength, power and lifeforce energy. Other names for Ashwagandha include “Indian Winter Cherry” or “Indian Ginseng.” While traditionally associated with men’s health, Ashwagandha offers ample benefits to women as well.
It is easy to see the historic and spiritual significance if you take a look at Ayurvedic scripture, where the herb is mentioned numerous times. Ancient texts on medicine such as Charaka and Sushruta Samhitas, which dates back to 400 CE, make note of Ashwagandha’s uses, among many other texts. Ashwagandha has been long considered the “prince of herbs” due to its long-standing range of health uses.
Where is Ashwagandha grown?
ORGANIC INDIA Ashwagandha is sourced from the hilly region of Bundelkhand in central and North India. This region is widely known for growing the best Ashwagandha available in the world. Ashwagandha also grows in northern Africa and the Middle East. It is a perennial herb hardy to zone 6.
Who is it for?
Though traditionally used for men, Ashwagandha has the same benefits and applications for women as well. It is great for anyone from athletes to college students to business executives. It can help bring a sense of calm and stamina at the same time to allow you to get through your day in a balanced and energized way. Even kids can take Ashwagandha for a healthy stress response, but dosages should be discussed with a health professional. Pregnant and nursing women should not take Ashwagandha. Be sure to check with your doctor before taking Ashwagandha if you are taking medication or have a preexisting condition.
Ashwagandha for Healthy Conscious Living
ORGANIC INDIA’s Ashwagandha is organically grown according to ancient Ayurvedic regenerative cultivation practices to ensure the highest possible efficacy, or “prana.” All ORGANIC INDIA herbs are processed and tested in compliance with FDA and World Health Organization safety protocols.
At ORGANIC INDIA, we recognize the vast interconnectedness of life. From seed, to soil, to field, to factory, our products empower the farmers of India, promote environmental and economic recovery, and provide wellness solutions derived from nature’s intelligence.