What if we told you that your breakfast could offer you a full tummy, gentle detox, proper elimination, improved gut health AND some immune benefits? Today we want to share one of our go-to recipes, that offers several therapeutic benefits, in addition to being a tasty breakfast.
We all know fibre is an important piece of a healthy diet. Not only is fibre a regulator, but it’s also involved in the delivery of essential nutrients to the entire body. A large portion of our population is under consuming fibre rich foods, which has caused a surplus of fibre rich powders and formulas to surface the market. Many of these fibre formulas contain additives that have a negative impact on the body for numerous reasons, but namely because they are not a natural source of fibre!
Instead of opting for an overly processed formula, more people are seeking out natural formulas that are readily available in foods. This means increasing whole food sources of fibre from things like chia seeds, berries, avocados and our favourite, Psyllium!
Up until recently, Whole Husk Psyllium was consumed by adding it to water, a couple times per day. Not the most delicious way to consume fibre, but totally therapeutic for those who need it. That said, we wanted to create a recipe that not only offered the benefits of the fibre filled husk, but also tasted delicious, making it easy to incorporate on a regular basis.
WHAT ARE PSYLLIUM HUSKS?
Psyllium husks (also called ispaghula, isabgol, or just psyllium) are the protective sheath around the seed of the Plantago ovata plant, a herb which grows naturally in India.
Due to their high content of mucilage – an edible, thick, gluey substance produced by plants – psyllium husks are hygroscopic, which means they expand by attracting water and forming a slippery gel. This gel is part of what makes them a useful ingredient binder in recipes. Psyllium Husks, like many plants, contain high levels of both soluble and insoluble fibre.
We created this Spiced Psyllium Husk Porridge for a high fibre, high nutrient breakfast, using ORGANIC INDIA’s Whole Husk Psyllium. This recipe is an excellent gluten and grain free alternative to your typical morning cereals or breakfast bars. It offers gentle detox from turmeric, Psyllium and ghee, in addition to sugar-metabolism-supporting cinnamon, digestive-supporting cardamom, and nourishing goats milk or coconut milk, depending on your preference!
- 1 heaping tbsp ORGANIC INDIA Whole Husk Psyllium
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup goats milk (option to sub coconut milk, soy, or almond milk)
- 1 heaping tbsp ghee (option to sub coconut oil or non-dairy butter)
- Pure liquid stevia or raw honey to taste
- Suggested toppings: bananas or seasonal fruits and berries, walnuts, coconut flakes, cacao nibs
- Combine psyllium, coconut flour, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, vanilla, milk and water in a pot, and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium and using a whisk, stir porridge until it begins to thicken, and the liquid has cooked off
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in 1 heaping tbsp. of ghee
- Garnish with your favourite toppings! My favourite combo at the moment is coconut flakes, blueberries and turmeric.
Thirsty for more?
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter for up-to-date news, new products and special offers. Be apart of our beautiful community inspiring True Wellness for all.